Georgia Department of Ag announces commodity commission appointments
The Georgia Agriculture Commodity Commissions ex officio committee confirmed appointments to several commodity commissions. The following appointments were made to serve three-year terms:
• Beef Commission - John Callaway, Coweta County; Ernie Ford, Calhoun County; Allen Wiggins, Turner County;
• Cotton Commission - Steven Meeks, Wayne County; Matt Coley, Dooly County;
• Equine Commission - Beth Williams, Oconee County; Dr. Barbara Kelly, Peach County;
• Soybean Commission - Brian Ogletree, Lamar County; Jesse Patrick, Putnam County;
• Tobacco Commission -Jerry Wooten, Jeff Davis County.
Georgia Agriculture Commodity Commissions were created by the Georgia state legislature and receive funds from farmer-approved market orders, which allow for the collection of assessments from farmers when they sell their commodity. The Equine Commission receives its funds from the sale of the Equine Specialty License plate for motor vehicles.
Funds received by the commodity commissions can be used to fund research, education, and promotion of the commodity.
Commission members are active producers of their commodity. Commission member terms are three years.
To learn more, visit http://agr.georgia.gov/commodities-promotion.aspx